Monday, April 18, 2011

Mini Cupcakes with Lemon Frosting for Easter (or any time)


I love cupcakes; there is just something so wonderful about being able to have a little cake all to yourself. I have been wanting to go even smaller by using my mini muffin pan to make some really tiny ones and a while back on a stroll through my local dollar store I came across some adorable little tiny mini cupcake papers in Easter designs. I had to buy them, they were just too cute to leave in the store. So this weekend I put them to good use and made my go-to cake recipe into mini cupcakes and paired it with my very favorite Lemon Frosting. Way back in the dark ages I used to eat a lot of those hard lemon candies, the ones that are sour lemon on the inside and coated in sweet sugar, do you know the ones? This frosting reminds me of that childhood favorite, it is sweet and tart all in the same bit.



Mini Cupcakes

1 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
Line the cups in you mini muffin pan with mini cupcake liners

Begin by combining all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
Add the oil and milk and beat with a mixer for 2 minutes.
Add the eggs and continue to beat at with a mixer for 2 additional minutes.
Fill the mini cupcake liners in the mini muffin pan with the batter (mine took about 2 Tablespoons per cup)
Bake at 400 for 10 to 15 minutes, test with a toothpick for doneness.
Allow to cool in pan 10 minutes then remove to a rack to finish cooling

Lemon Frosting

2 cups powdered (confectioners) sugar
¼ all vegetable shortening
2 – 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Combine the sugar and shortening until blended through.

Add the lemon juice beating until it reaches a spreading consistency.

Makes about 4 dozen mini cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment