Monday, August 13, 2012

Corn Pancakes

I think all of us are on the lookout for new breakfast ideas. I love a good pancake to start the day and these are wonderful. The little bites of bacon are an added treat and the flavors of the corn and bacon paired with some maple syrup are a fantastic way to start any day.

I like a relatively thick pancake so that is how I developed this recipe. If you like your pancakes thinner then cut back on the flour to get the texture you like best.

I debated if I should use the bacon fat in the pancakes but decided to just use it to coat my pan to cook the pancakes in. I felt with the bits of bacon in the pancakes they didn't really need the bacon fat but feel free to substitute it for the vegetable oil in the recipe.

I always use my favorite cast iron skillet to cook my pancakes and if you have one be sure to dig it out for these. It really is the perfect pan for pancakes (and much more). If you don't have a cast iron skillet you really need to look into getting one. I do admit though they are a long term commitment because they need to be used for years before they really come into their own and show you how wonderful they can be. 

 

Corn Pancakes

2 slices bacon diced small (about 1/4” cubes)
1 egg
1 ¼ cups buttermilk or soured milk (put a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice in a measuring cup and milk to make 1 ¼ cups and allow to stand until slightly thickened)
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¾ cup flour
¾ cup cornmeal
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt

Cook the bacon until crisp then drain on a paper towel. Save the bacon grease to use to grease your pan to cook the pancakes.
Beat the egg until well combined and then beat in the milk and baking soda. When these are well combined add the rest of the ingredients including the cooked bacon and beat until well combined.

Heat your pan and use a pastry brush to coat the pan with some of the bacon grease.

Serve hot with butter and maple syrup.



No comments:

Post a Comment