Friday, April 1, 2011

My Creamy Potato Salad


I was in the mood for potato salad this week so I decided to dust off my favorite recipe for Creamy Potato Salad and share it with you. I have to say this is such an easy going recipe; I change it up depending on what is in the refrigerator that day. So here is what went in the bowl today.

I love the addition of the pickle juice to the mayonnaise mixture and have been doing that for many years (we won’t go into how many years here, but it has been decades) it really gives a nice mellow flavor.

Like I said earlier I change this out all the time so don’t worry if you don’t have some of the extra ingredients or don’t like them feel free to substitute what you have and love. As long as the basics: the potatoes, mayonnaise and amount of veggies remain about the same you really can’t go wrong. If you don’t like dill use your favorite herb in its place (tarragon is fantastic by the way) Use whatever pickles you have on hand, they all taste great in here. So feel free to play with this one and enjoy!



Creamy Potato Salad

2 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes (or red potatoes) cut into bite size pieces
1 ½ cups mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons pickle juice (right from the jar of pickles)
1 Tablespoon mustard (I prefer a brown mustard or grainy mustard)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon dry dill weed
½ cup shredded carrot (about 1 medium carrot)
¼ cup diced pickles (whatever is in the fridge) I used Bread & Butter pickles today)
¼ finely chopped onion
¼ cup sliced black olives
¼ chopped celery
4 hard cooked eggs, chopped

Combine the mayonnaise, pickle juice, mustard, salt, pepper and dill weed in a large bowl. Add in the carrots, pickles, onion, olives, and celery stir to combine well. Be sure to taste at this point and adjust the seasonings to your liking. Carefully fold in the potatoes and eggs just until they are coated with the dressing mixture. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment