Saturday, April 2, 2011

Abby’s Pork Roast


I got this recipe from my good friend Abby a few years back (I don't know where she got it) and although it has an official name at our house we just call it “Abby’s Pork Roast” if I give it another name my kids just look at me blankly. I think this is supposed to be a slow cooker version on the Kalua Pork that they cook in Hawaii but since I have never been there I am not sure how close it comes. All I can tell you is this is fantastic!

You do have to plan ahead for this one, it cooks for a very long time (20 to 24 hours) but it is so worth it in the end. The ingredient list is so short and no I didn’t forget anything, there really are just 3 ingredients.

The original recipe called for Hawaiian Sea Salt but I couldn’t locate that locally so I use Himalayan Pink Salt and it works wonderfully. I have used regular kosher salt and it is okay but I don’t recommend it (too salty and just missing something), look for a nice red or pink salt for this it is worth the effort. I buy my pink salt at Cost Plus World Market so if you have one near by be sure to check out their spice/ seasoning aisle lots of fun stuff there and the prices are usually really good.

For the pork roast for this you want something that will hold up to the long cooking time, think the type of cut you would use for a pot roast. I have even used bone-in country style ribs a few times and they worked out wonderfully too. The important thing here in my opinion is to use a roast with the bone in. The bone provides so much flavor that you really do need it there.



Abby’s Pork Roast

1 (6 pound) pork butt roast (or whatever size will fit snuggly in your slow cooker)
1 1/2 tablespoons Hawaiian sea salt or Himalayan Pink Salt
1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring 
 
I have changed up the method a bit from what Abby originally told me so here is 
how I do it.
 
Put the roast in the slow cooker sprinkle with the salt and the liquid smoke. Cover and 
cook on low for 20 to 24 hours. The roast will create its own juices over the cooking 
time. If in the morning when I get up and check on the roast I find that the top of 
the meat is not under the liquid I turn the meat (it will fall apart) over and push it 
as much as 
possible under the liquid. 
This roast is going to completely fall apart and that is the idea. 
 
The next day this will make the best pork sandwiches, just heat the leftover meat up 
put into a bun, cheese is optional but does taste wonderful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment