Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Greek Chicken Pizza


This pizza came about simply because I needed to figure out dinner and I really didn’t feel like driving to the store. I was in the mood for a pizza and I happened to have some things on hand that led me down a path to a Greek inspired pizza.

You could use your favorite pizza crust, I am including the one I used (it is the one I use most often) but feel free to substitute your favorite. At our house we like a chewy crust on our pizza and to accomplish this I par-bake my crust before I top it. This particular crust is made using my bread machine, so if you have one this is a good place to use it.

You will find that I didn’t use a canned pizza sauce; instead I used an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce which I seasoned up with some herbs and spices from my spice cabinet. I do this on most of our pizzas since I almost always have tomato sauce on hand.



Pizza Crust from the Bread machine

½ cup milk
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
¼ teaspoon garlic salt
¼ teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon yeast

Layer the ingredients in you bread machine in the order directed by your owner’s manual. If your machine has a Pizza Dough cycle choose it, otherwise choose the regular dough setting.
At the end of the cycle remove dough to a floured surface, cover and let rest 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
With oiled fingers pat dough onto an oiled pizza pan. Use a fork to poke holes in the dough to prevent it from over-rising while baking.
Bake the dough for about 10 minutes or until browned. You can use it immediately to make a pizza or set it aside until you are ready for it.


Greek Pizza

Baked pizza crust (you favorite or the one above)
8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
¼ teaspoon fennel seed
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
½ cup thinly sliced red onion
½ seeded chopped tomato
½ cup crumbled Feta cheese
¼ chopped Kalamata olives
1 teaspoon dry oregano

Have oven heated to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
Mix the tomato sauce with the Italian seasoning and fennel seed and spread over baked crust. Top with remaining ingredients in order given.
Bake directly on oven rack for 10 minutes or until hot through and cheese is melted.




No comments:

Post a Comment