Saturday, April 16, 2011

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake

This is the number one, absolute favorite dessert at our house. I can almost guarantee that if I was to ask any of my kids (there are 4 of them) what dessert they would like me to make them this will be the answer. I am good with that because what they don’t know is that this is also probably the easiest dessert I make too. Not only is it tasty, warm, gooey, comfort food; there is something magical about the way it makes its own layer of pudding underneath the layer of chocolate cake. I mostly make this during the colder months and since spring is promised I figured I should share this while we are still having some chilly days.

This mixes together so easily and contains ingredients I always have on hand so it is the perfect emergency recipe for those times when you need something at the last minute. I can usually get it mixed together and into the pan in the time it takes for the oven to heat up. Then it bakes and can be served almost immediately (let it sit about 10 minutes)  after it comes out to the oven but, it is also very tasty at room temperature too.


Please note that while this is the easiest recipe I know of for dessert it is also the hardest to get a decent picture of.

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake

1 cup all purpose flour
¾ cup sugar
2 Tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
¼ cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1 ¾ cups very hot water

Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Mix flour, sugar, 2 Tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and the salt in a mixing bowl to combine. In a measuring cup or small bowl combine the milk, oil and vanilla until well combined. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. You will have a rather thick batter. Spread this batter evenly in an 8”x8” baking dish (ungreased)

Sprinkle brown sugar and ¼ cup of cocoa over the top of the batter in the baking dish. Try to get it as even as possible. Pour the hot water evenly over the top and bake immediately.

Bake for 40 minutes or until the top is dry. Cool for about 10 minutes and serve in bowls with the sauce from the bottom of the pan spooned over the cake layer.

No comments:

Post a Comment