Monday, April 11, 2011

Bread Machine Focus week Day 1- the Basics


Welcome to the first of what I hope will be a continuing feature of this blog- the Focus Week! A Focus Week will be just that a week set aside where I will focus on a specific topic. Sometimes it will be an appliance (like this week) sometimes an ingredient, a type of food or who knows but the recipes that week will come with my thoughts and experiences, a little (or a lot) of education and hopefully some great recipes that you can try in your own kitchen.

So while we focus on the bread machine, I first want to say I love mine! I use it a lot not just to bake bread but to make dough for everything from pizza to dinner rolls. Out of every 10 loaves of bread we eat in our house I probably make at least 9 of them. Over the course of the year about half of those loaves of bread come directly out of my bread machine. The bread machine I have currently is my second one; I did wear out the first one. This one has more bells and whistles than the last one but most of those are not necessary. If you have never used a bread machine before and are shopping for one I would recommend you start with a very basic machine. The only features you really need are the ability to make a basic loaf of bread, a dough setting (so you can make a dough to remove and make rolls or pizza and what have you) and a delay timer (so you can have bread ready later in the day) the other features are nice but really are not necessary at all. There are many nice bread machines to be had for under $100 and these are the perfect ones to start out with. Do look for a manufactures warranty of at least a year. If the manufacture won’t stick behind the product for at least a year there is probably a reason.
You might be wondering why I say buy a basic model for your first bread machine, the reason is you need to learn a few things about yourself before you spend big bucks on a lot of features. You may find that the basic machine is just exactly what you need and you will be very happy with those features. Or you might find that you really don’t use it as often as you thought you would, not a problem a basic machine will still be handy to use and will serve you for many years.

One of my favorite things to do on a busy day is set up my slow cooker with soup and my bread machine to make a special loaf of bread and I can get on with my day. It doesn’t matter if I am busy at home or out and about I know that at the end of the day dinner will be waiting for us with very little bother, a very nice feeling at the end of a long day.

If you are going to leave your bread machine on a delay setting be sure of a couple of things first. You need to choose a recipe with no fresh dairy or eggs in the recipe; those could start to spoil before the machine comes on and make you sick. There are a lot of recipes that are very safe to use on a delay setting however. Also know your bread machine, for instance with my current machine I find I need to add about 2 Tablespoons more liquid than a lot of recipes call for. I never had that problem with my old machine that is why you need to check your machine after the first 5 to 6 minutes of mixing and adjust your mixture. You may find you need to add more flour or more liquid, when you get to know your machine you can make these adjustments when you are filling the pan.

Today the recipe I am sharing is for a basic white bread. I am listing the ingredients in the order that they go into the bread pan in most bread machines. Be sure to check your owner’s manual for specifics with your machine.



Basic White Bread from the Bread Machine

1 1/8 cups lukewarm water
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
3 Tablespoons butter
3 1/3 cups bread machine flour
1 Tablespoon dry milk
1 ½ teaspoons yeast

Spray the pan from your bread machine with no-stick spray and add the ingredients to the pan in the order specified in your owner’s manual.
Use the basic or white bread cycle for this loaf and choose the 1 ½ pound loaf size setting.

Stay tuned tomorrow for another great recipe and we will talk a bit about the ingredients that go into a loaf of bread and what they do.


2 comments:

  1. I don't have a bread machine, but have always made bread the old fashioned way. Well, my arms, hands and wrists don't work so well anymore and would love to get a basic bread machine.

    But! Before I put money out for a basic bread machine could you please list what you can do and make with the Bells & Whistles that you can't with the basic. Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katainya, stay tuned for day 5 I will talk a bit about the "bells and whistles" my machine has and what they do.

    ReplyDelete