Friday, February 25, 2011

Tropical Banana Bread

I have to admit I really wasn't planning to make banana bread when I got up this morning. I made the decision (or was it made for me) when I looked in the fruit bowl. My kids have this strange habit of leaving 3 bananas in there every time. It doesn't matter how many bananas I buy, I could bring home 4 or 24 and there would still be 3 left to get over ripe that they won't eat. Why, you ask? They have learned that 3 is the magic number of bananas needed to create a loaf of banana bread. Since the fruit bowl decided I needed to bake I went through the cabinets to see what else to use up today. Well, I still had the rest of the coconut from the cupcakes the other day and there is that bit of fresh ginger in the fridge and I have one more bag of crystallized ginger that I really should be using up. These items put me on the road to a Tropical Banana Bread that if I do say so myself is pretty darn yummy.

A note about crystallized ginger if you buy it in the baking aisle of your grocery store  it is pretty spendy. I have found it at Cost Plus World Market on the candy aisle for a much better price so if you have them nearby be sure to check them out. I have also been threatening to make my own but haven't gotten to it yet so that is a recipe for the future.

If you get right down to it this recipe actually has 3 types of ginger in it since the pumpkin pie spice also contains ginger. Can you tell it is a flavor I was in the mood for today?

I hope you enjoy this as much as we do.


Tropical Banana Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
1 cup mashed bananas (3 medium)
1/2 cup shaved coconut
1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger

Grease and flour a 9"x5"x3" loaf pan and set aside.
In  a medium mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients.
In a small bowl combine the remaining ingredients and combine with the dry ingredients. Mix only until combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Allowing the batter to set up for 30 minutes will help the loaf to form a nice rounded top and to not crack as much.  Meanwhile preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  After the 30 minutes bake the loaf in the preheated oven for approximately an hour, be sure to test with a toothpick to determine if it is cooked through.

Cool in pan on a wire rack for a half hour, remove from pan and cool completely.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment