Friday, February 18, 2011

Mocha Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

I had promised  my youngest son that I would make some cookies today and I had planned to my make my normal chocolate chip cookies, always a favorite choice. I woke up last night in the middle of the night with an idea for a way to change them up a bit. I have to say the changes I made are fantastic and the kids both agree so  I am happy to share them here with you.



Mocha Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup butter (room temperature)
1 Tablespoon instant coffee granules
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 ounce package of semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 2 cups)
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
Using a mixer on medium speed cream the sugars with the butter until light and creamy. Add the instant coffee, vanilla and the egg and continue to mix on medium speed until well combined.  Add the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt and stir until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts and combine.

Using either 2 spoons or a cookie scoop drop the dough (about a heaping Tablespoon per cookie) onto un-greased cookie sheets.  Be sure to leave at least 2" between cookies.

Bake at 375 for 7 to 9 minutes until cooked, the centers will still be soft (these burn easily so watch them to find out the cooking time in your oven) Cool about 2 minutes on the cookie sheet and then move  to a wire rack to finish cooling.


makes about 4 dozen cookies

These cookies have a wonderful rich chocolate taste with a hint of coffee that perfectly accents the chocolate. Perfect with either a cup of coffee or a big glass of milk.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment