Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Power Packed Egg Salad Sandwich



I found this recipe way back when I was pregnant with my 2nd child. That was a long time ago. At the time I had already had a very active 3 year old to keep up with and was looking for a quick lunch that was packed with nutrients and still tasted good.. I also had to be easy and inexpensive to make and be quick to eat when I had time to eat. This sandwich fit all of those parameters and more.

Back then I probably ate these r 4 or 5 days a week not only through the pregnancy but for the two years I nursed him too. That was a lot of sandwiches. LOL The great thing is I never got tired of them either. Because of the flavors and the textures this just never got boring.

So if you are looking for a sandwich that really brings a lot to the lunch table you really owe it to yourself to try these.

The recipe makes enough filling for 4 sandwiches and will keep in the fridge for a week. They really don't take all that long to put together either.

I know once you try these you are going to love them as much as I do.



Power Packed Egg Salad Sandwich

½ cup mayonnaise
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon garlic (or onion) salt
3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
¼ finely chopped celery
¼ cup sunflower kernels
2 Tablespoons sliced green onion
8 slices sandwich bread (or 4 sandwich rolls)
lettuce leaves
tomato slices

In a medium size bowl combine the mayonnaise with the dry mustard and the garlic salt (or onion salt if you prefer) until well combined. Add the eggs, cheese, celery, sunflower kernels, and green onion. Gently combined until well mixed.

Store covered in the refrigerator for up to a week.
To make sandwich use about ½ cup of the filling along with a leaf of lettuce to make your sandwich on your choice of bread. Add a slice or two of tomato at the last moment.

If you are packing this in a lunch I recommend packing the tomato slice(s) in a separate plastic bag to add just before eating.




No comments:

Post a Comment