Friday, August 10, 2012

Apple Waffle Cookies


I remember making these cookies for my older sons when they were little. I had forgotten all about the recipe until I went in search of my Cookie Dough Brownies a while back. This recipe was tucked in with the brownie one. I remembered how much everyone had loved these so I decided to make them again.

Then the debate began. Should I post the recipe here or not. You see I ran into a few problems while making them this time. I don't remember having any issues at all way back when I made them before. I think the problem is, my new waffle maker. You see back then I had one of those big old flat ones that makes the flatter waffles. Not much to look at but very tasty. A while back that old waffle maker gave up the ghost. When picking the new one I chose to go with one of the ones that makes the thicker waffles with bigger holes. More like a Belgian Waffle but not quite that thick. Hench the problem with the cookies.

Now the cookies still taste fantastic. They are apply and cinnamony and just wonderful. However at least half of mine broke when I removed them from the waffle maker. I did discover that if I gave the bottom plate of the waffle maker a good spray with no-stick spray before I poured in the batter each time it worked better. I also sprayed the top plate after every other cookie. The original recipe said my cookies should be cooked in 1 ½ to 2 minutes. Mine took 2 ½ another reason I think the thicker waffle maker was my problem.

So we have a lot of very cute waffle shaped cookies and a bunch of broken cookies. Do the broken ones look as good, no but they taste just as good. So it is up to you.

These are also a cookie that will take you some time to cook. My waffle maker only makes 2 waffle squares and I found I could only cook one cookie in each square, so that meant cooking off 2 cookies at a time. The recipe makes about 3 dozen, so it took a while.

My youngest son says it was well worth all the work but, as far as I remember the only work he did was eat them. Oh well, I'll probably make these again pretty soon they are that good.



Apple Waffle Cookies

1 ½ cups dark brown sugar
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ cup shredded apple (I used a granny smith)
½ finely chopped pecans

½ cup powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon

Heat waffle iron

Beat the brown sugar and butter together until well creamed. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well again.

Add the flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, salt and nutmeg and mix until well combined.

Add the shredded apple and chopped nuts and stir carefully to combine.

On a small plate combine the powdered sugar and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon and have ready for when cookies are baked.

Spray the waffle iron with no stick spray and drop dough by heaping teaspoon (I used my smallest cookie scoop) close waffle maker and cook for 1/12 to 2 ½ minutes or until done.

The cookies will still be very soft and fragile at this point. Carefully remove the cookies to a wire rack to start to cool, allow to cool 1 minute (this allows them to firm up just a bit) after this minute dip the baked cookie into the powdered sugar mixture to lightly coat.

Allow to cool completely on wire rack.

Repeat for remaining cookies.

We go about 3 dozen cookies total.



No comments:

Post a Comment