Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pumpkin Soup 2.0

If you hang around my house for very long you will soon discover that I can never leave a recipe alone. Even after we have declared that a recipe can't get any better I am still adding this or that or taking out something or just adjusting it in general. This Pumpkin Soup is a prime example. We love this soup and have ever since the first time I made it. It is fantastic but I had to play with it this week to make it just a bit better and that is what I am sharing today.

One of the small changes I made was to subsitute some fresh sage for the dry sage in the original recipe. You see the sage plant on my back porch is threatening to take over the pot from the other herbs. I love to use fresh herbs whenever I can and the flavor of the fresh combines so nicely with the other flavors in this soup. If you don't have fresh simply use a teaspoon of dry and it will still taste fantastic.

The other minor change I made on this version was that I had just purchased some nice fresh ginger. I love the bite of fresh ginger in soups so I added a Tablespoon to the pot. Oh my, it is so delicious in there! On this on dry just won't cut it so if you don't have any fresh ginger I would say leave it out. However, it is so worth having that you really should pick up some ginger next time you go through the produce department. (it freezes really well and is actually easier to grate frozen than not)




Pumpkin Soup (2.0)

1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
1 (15 oz) can white beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14 oz) can vegetable broth
1 (14 oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage (or 1 teaspoon dry)
1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
½ Tablespoon soy sauce
dash hot sauce
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Lime wedges (1 per person)

Combine everything except the lime wedges in a medium to large saucepan. Heat through over medium heat.

Serve with a wedge of lime to squeeze into the soup at the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment