Monday, September 17, 2012

Creamy Ranch Dip/ Spread

I think we probably all have a favorite go to recipe for a quick dip for veggies, pretzels or chips. I thought today I would share my favorite one and tell you a bit about how you can change it up a bit.

First off I almost always have some kind of fresh herb either growing or in the fridge and I think that makes a huge difference in how this dip tastes. If you must use dry go ahead (use about a 1/3 as much dry as fresh) but you will be missing the wonders of the fresh flavor.

One of the things I really love about this dip is that is equally good made with fat free or full fat products. So use whichever version fits your lifestyle best. I have also used Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream and it is just as good. So definitely use what you have in this.

In addition to being a fantastic (and quick) dip I love this recipe as a spread on sandwiches. Just use it like you would the mayo, the added flavor will really perk up that simple sandwich. The version I give here is really great with either chicken or fish.

Depending on what I am going to serve this with I do change up the herbs from time to time. For example if I know we will be making some roast beef sandwiches this week I would use thyme and rosemary in place of the basil and dill. So good, the perfect match for beef and still every bit as good with some pretzels and veggies for a quick snack.

You will notice that I use grated onion in this. I use whatever type of onion I have on hand (usually yellow or white) and the medium size holes on my box grater. Do this over the bowl you will be mixing in you want to catch all those juices too.

This is by the way one of those recipes that is really better if it sits for a few hours in the fridge so the flavors can blend together a bit.




Creamy Ranch Dip/ Spread

½ cup sour cream (any fat level)
¼ cup mayonnaise (any fat level)
1 teaspoon each: chopped fresh dill
chopped fresh basil
chopped fresh parsely
chopped fresh chives
1 teaspoon grated onion

Mix all the ingredients. Store covered in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment