Monday, July 30, 2012

Dutch Baby Pancake


First let me make it clear that this particular recipe is for a special occasion! It is very rich, very calorie laden and just over the top but it is so yummy and looks so impressive. No one needs to know that this is one of the easiest things to make. That can be our little secret, okay.

I have been making these for way more years than I want to remember. We first had a similar item in a local restaurant and loved them but they were expensive to order. I decided that I had to figure out an at home version. Most of the recipes I found at the time were made in large pans to feed a group. I really wanted to make the individual version just like our local restaurant. I fiddled around with this one and we have been enjoying them ever since.

You will need to figure out how many pans your oven can hold safely at one time because these won't wait for anyone. When you are serving a larger group you will either need to use two ovens or eat in shifts (sorry)

Back when I came up with this we used to do a Sunday breakfast with a couple that were really good friends of ours. One week they would come to our house and the next week we went to theirs. I have to admit that Patty and I became very competitive over these breakfasts. LOL That is probably why I came up with this one.

You will need a blender for this recipe, it is just too hard to get the batter right without one. Also you will need a regular size pie pan for each serving. I have even used the disposable foil ones and they work just fine.

If I am making more than one of these I go ahead and put the pans in the oven to heat and line up some measuring cups or other containers to hold the individual serving worth of batter as I go. I then make up each batch of batter and transfer it to its own container to wait until I have all the batter finished. Then I quickly pour each batch into its own pan, I don't remove the pans from the oven I just pull out the oven rack and carefully pour in and then just as carefully push the racks back. Work quickly though so you don't loose too much heat from the oven.

Whatever you do DON'T open the oven door until these are done (or at least almost done) they need the heat to puff up.








Dutch Baby Pancake
(ingredients for each pancake, multiply by however many you are making)

2 Tablespoons buttermilk
2 eggs
½ cup milk
½ cup flour
powdered sugar
lemon wedge

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit

Place the butter in pie pan and place in hot oven to melt and get hot. It is alright if the butter browns a bit in this process.

Place the eggs in your blender and blend at high speed for 30 seconds, the eggs should become light yellow and gain volume in this process.

Slowly add the milk to the eggs with the blender running at a medium high speed. This must be done slowly. Now add the flour, again slowly and with the blender running. Replace the lid on the blender increase speed to high and blend for 1 minute.

Pour into hot pan on top of butter.

Bake for 20 minutes or until puffed and well browned.

Sprinkle with a dusting of powdered sugar and a lemon wedge to squeeze over the pancake.

No comments:

Post a Comment