Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Asian Coleslaw


I was in the mood for some coleslaw to go with some burgers I was planning for dinner. The burgers (the burger recipe will be posted here tomorrow) are made of ground pork and are definitely Asian inspired so I wanted a side dish that would take that same path. It used to be that I was not a fan of coleslaw and then a couple of years ago I started to love it, I can’t get enough and make it often changing it up to go with whatever the main dish will be. For this variation I did some checking of what was in the cupboard/fridge and also what I was going to need for the burgers that might have extra. I really think the combo I came up with is really yummy. Be sure to make it a few hours ahead since coleslaw really likes to sit for a while before it is served.

My daughter pointed out during dinner that this coleslaw was extra good because it tastes like coleslaw and still definitely has an Asian flavor at the same time. So many times when you see Asian Coleslaw (or any of the flavored coleslaws) they seem to miss that balance. They either taste like coleslaw or taste like a flavored cabbage salad. I worked really hard to keep the balance here so that both flavors come through.



Asian Coleslaw

Dressing
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
½ teaspoon dark sesame oil

Veggie mix
5 cups packaged coleslaw mix (shredded green and red cabbage and shredded carrot)
½ cup finely chopped celery
¼ cup water chestnuts (I used part of a can of slice water chestnuts and chopped them)
¼ cup sliced green onion
¼ cup crushed pineapple, well drained.

Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl making sure to combine well.

In a large bowl combine the veggie mix and the dressing. Stir to combine, cover and refrigerate until serving time (at least 1 hour)

No comments:

Post a Comment