Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Cranberry-White Chocolate Scones for Breakfast

One of the favorite breakfasts in our house on busy mornings are scones, I love them because I make them in the afternoon or evening for the next  morning. My kids love them because they can grab them as they run out the door. This Cranberry-White Chocolate version was the choice for today. I know your family will love them too.


I make my scones with my food processor making them even easier to mix up.



Cranberry-White Chocolate Scones

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
zest of 1 lemon
1/3 cup cold butter (cut up into small pieces)
1 large egg beaten
4 to 6 Tablespoons half & half
1/2 cup white chocolate baking chips
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

In the bowl of the food processor combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, fresh ginger and lemon zest and pulse the processor to combine. Add the cold butter and pulse until the butter is thoroughly mixed into the flour mixture (I think the best description I have ever  heard for this stage is that it should look like grated Parmesan cheese). Add the egg and half & half and pulse just until combined and the mixture forms a mass.

Remove dough from the food processor onto a floured surface. Add the dry fruit and chips and knead everything together. Try get the additions mixed through evenly but work quickly so the dough doesn't get tough. I try to not knead the dough more than about 10 or 12 times.

Pat dough into a thick disk about 8" across and cut into 6 wedges.

You can brush the tops of the scones with more half & half and sprinkle with sugar if desired. At holiday time it is fun to use the pretty colored sugars that are sold for decorating cookies.

Place on an un-greased baking sheet and bake for 15-16 minutes.

Serve now or in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment