Monday, May 14, 2012

Mildred's Swedish Cucumbers


This recipe for cucumbers was my mom's and I would be hard pressed to come up with a time that she didn't serve them to guests at her table. So I guess in a way it was her signature dish. It really didn't matter what time of year or the occasion, if she had company for dinner these were almost always part of the meal. They were also to be found in her fridge most of the time for a side with her meals or for the occasional snack. They are really super easy to make and do go with just about everything.

We thought we had lost dish with mom's passing but my daughter was going through some old cook books and she found a recipe card (with many splatters on it) that my mom had typed this on. So her cucumbers will live on for future generations to enjoy.

I know that all my kids love these and I will bet your family will also love this easy side dish. It is really at its best in the warm weather when the produce is at it freshest so give this a try with your dinner. I know we will be having it again soon too. 






Mildred's Swedish Cucumbers

½ cup white vinegar
¼ sugar
2 Tablespoons water
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons fresh dill
2 large cucumbers

Combine the vinegar, sugar, water, salt and pepper in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.

Meanwhile remove strips of peel (lengthwise) from the cucumber (leaving strips between) and thinly slice the cucumbers into a container with a lid.

Pour the hot vinegar over the sliced cucumbers add the dill and mix together until well combined.

Cover and chill until serving time.

No comments:

Post a Comment